Today is the 12th day of your 30 day credit tips: Identity Theft. Did you know identity theft happens every 2-3 seconds. According to 2016 reports an estimated 15 million consumers were affected by identity theft. 1 in 19 consumers are affected by identity theft.
Identity theft occurs when a person uses your social security number and personal information to create accounts, make purchases and get a tax refund. If you suspect you are a victim of identity theft follow these 3 steps immediately:
- Contact the CRAs (Experian, Equifax & TransUnion) and put a freeze on your credit reports.
- File a complaint with FTC through identitytheft.gov .
- File a police report.
When you file a complaint through identitytheft.gov, you will explain what happen. The FTC will take that information to create a personal recovery plan. If you create an account with FTC, they will work with you, monitor and update your personal recovery plan to help you get back on track.
My clients and team members as well as myself receive Lifelock in my credit repair program. I’ve had Lifelock for about 6-7 months and I am so glad I have it. In the video I shared with you yesterday someone tried to open a cell phone account using my social security number. Since I have Lifelock I received an email and text alert regarding the new application that was filed with Sprint. All I had to do was respond to Lifelock that it wasn’t me and they are taking care of the rest.
Below I want to share with you an info graphic that breaks down some statistics on identity theft and how to protect yourself.
5 Things To Do To Protect Your Identity:
- Review each of your three credit reports at least once a year. Visit annualcreditreport.com to get your free reports.
- Shred any documents with personal and financial information.
- Read your credit card and bank statements carefully and often.
- Know your payment due dates. If a bill doesn’t show up when you expect it, look for it.
- Read the statements from your health insurance plan, Make sure the claims paid match the medical services you received.
Did This Help You? If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you commented below and shared on Facebook.
“I create financially stable leaders empowered to achieve their greatest financial potential!”
PS: There are 10 Credit Myths the Credit Agencies don’t want you to know so you can protect your assets. To get your copy of this free report click here.
If you enjoyed this post about 12th Day of 30 Day Credit Tips: Identity Theft, retweet and comment please